Filing Income Taxes

All F-1 visa students and their dependents are required to submit documentation to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax purposes, even if you did not work or receive any income.  Everyone will file something.

Tax Filing Deadlines for 2017

  • Income from a U.S. source*  

    Deadline: April 17, 2018.

    ISP is unable to advise you on how to complete your tax return.  You may consult with a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant, or tax attorney who is knowledgeable about nonresident tax law.  

    *Income includes scholarships or grants if the money is used for anything other than course tuition.

  • No income from a U.S. source  

    Deadline: June 15, 2018

    You will need to complete form 8843.  You can download this form on the IRS website here. This is not a tax return; it is an informational form required by the U.S. government for certain nonresidents and their dependents.  Note: A social security number is not required to file Form 8843.

Be wary of free tax services or tax prep software like Turbo Tax that are designed for resident tax payers and may not properly handle your non-resident tax status.  Two paid software services that are specifically designed to help non-residents file are Glacier Tax Prep & Sprintax.

Back to Top